[lwptoc width=”full” backgroundColor=”#f7f7f7″]
Meditation is highly popular in today’s society norms and should come as no surprise, given the fact we are being subject to so much stress nowadays. Work assignments, health issues, family obligations, relationship problems….you name it.
With the hustle and bustle of everyday life, how do we find time to destress and rejuvenate ourselves? Here comes sound meditation to the rescue, a different “noise” from the outside world!
Sound meditation aka sound bath, is the use of a tool to cultivate and induce deep relaxation. Its purpose is to create a gentle but yet powerful experience that clears the mind, heals the physical body and helps pull your focus back to the present.
So how is this different from regular meditation? Regular meditation requires you to count your breaths, visualize something or repeat a mantra in your head. However, for sound meditation, it gives you sound and vibrations to focus on so you quieten down faster easily.
Many research studies have shown that music can have a profound effect on both your emotions and physical body. Upbeat music can make you feel more positive about life while a slower tempo can help your mind to quieten down and muscles to relax. It is effective for stress management and relaxation.
Sound meditation is particularly useful for sales executives or busy professionals who are always on the go and find it difficult to quieten down as they are used to so much noise and data they receive through their five senses every day.
So how do you get started? Here is a step by step guide to help you release stress and relax:
Pre-Start Cleansing Ritual
1. Have a Tibetan singing bowl ready. It is an effective and useful healing tool in sound meditation. It is a great idea to have at least two to three singing bowls at home.
2. Start by clearing out negative energy from your space. Hold a singing bowl in one hand and use the other hand to strike your bowl with the mallet as you move around your house or office.
Hear The Symphony Of Sound Meditation
3. Once the cleansing ritual is completed, sit in a comfortable position and surround yourself with the singing bowls. If you only have one singing bowl, hold it in your hand. Light an aromatherapy candle to set the mood and kick the relaxation up a notch as well as to increase the flow of spiritual energy.
4. Set your intentions or thoughts on good, happy and positive thoughts of love, peace, hope or joy and play your singing bowl by striking it. Hold the bowl in the palm of your non-dominant hand and the mallet in your dominant hand.
Hold the mallet like a baton and strike the bowl lightly with the padded side of the mallet on the bowl’s mid-exterior wall. Striking will produce a pleasant, rich and soothing tone. Wait for the sounds and vibrations to dissipate completely before striking the bowl again.
Relax And Experience Inner Calm
5. Take a deep breath and focus on your intentions. Let the sound vibrations help you relax, bringing inner calm and indescribable harmony.
6. Singing along with your singing bowls can give you empowerment and allow your intentions to guide you. When you surrender yourself completely to the practice of sound meditation, you will have a wonderful experience of deep cleansing, healing and rejuvenation.
7. When you are finished, sit silently for a few seconds and express inner thanks for the practice. Show your gratitude for your singing bowls and for your own effort.
Alternatively, if you are in the office and do not have a singing bowl, you can create a sound bath by listening to digital recordings of singing bowls or other sound bathing tools. The most important thing is that you can go into complete stillness and tranquility while listening to the digital sounds.
We are surrounded with so much noise every day. Sometimes, we just need to give ourselves a little time to sit quietly so we can filter out the unwanted noise in our minds, hearts and bodies; becoming renewed and rebalanced in energy and soul. Have fun with your singing bowls!